Saturday, January 25, 2014

Annie's Song: Hospital at Joelton and A Terrible Noise

Following are excerpts from stories written by my Great-Grandmother, Annie Biggs Adcock as they were written to her daughter Clara.  They were compiled in a book entitled No More The Wild Country by my cousin John R. Coles.   He graciously gave me permission to use these in hopes that future generations of our family will know a little bit of our history. 


Hospital at Joelton

"Dr. Lang came to Joelton from Lansing, Michigan, and ran a hospital at what is now the funeral home.  Grandpa Adcock stayed in the hospital for about six weeks in the summer of 1914.  he stayed out in a tent as the house was full.   He got better and my husband went after him in an old buggy.   There is a lot of things I have to tell that can't be brought up because of the present generation. " 






A Terrible Noise

"My husband and I planned to go fishing one evening.   We lived just below a well known hole of water called the Blue Hole.   Just the other side of this hole of water there was an old log house two stories high.   The old log house had been hand built by my husband's grandparents about ten years before the Civil War.   They had spent their days in the old log house and died.   The old house was vacant.   We was sitting on the big rock of the Blue Hole fishing, when all at once we heard a terrible noise at the old house.   It sounded like something running up and down the steps.  My husband said he was going over there and see what all that noise was.  So, he did.  We had heard all kinds of tales about what was going on around this old house.   Well, he tried to slip up and see if he could find out something and he did.   

I had one brother and he had been up the creek for something.   he lived close to us and he was going home when he also heard the noise and stopped.   He went in this old house and there was a bunch of goats that had got inside and, somehow, got the door shut.   They was running up and down those steps.  My brother was chasing them just to hear the racket.   We all laughed and went home." 


No comments:

Post a Comment