Friday, January 31, 2014

Dollar Store Redo: Gift Boxes Become Canisters

I love a bargain, and so I am constantly looking at the Dollar Tree for things.   I have been trying to challenge myself to not look at color, but to look at the form of something and see if it can be changed into something that I like.   The other day I picked up these gift boxes at the Dollar Tree.



I have been thinking about making canisters for my bathroom countertop for organizing q-tips, plackers(dental floss sticks) , and bandaids.  I saw these little gift boxes and they are about the right size, so I thought I would give it a try. 

I wanted knobs on the top, and so I glued three diet coke tops on the top of the boxes for knobs.  (Yeah..I know I wrote that blog a while back about quitting....disregard that. :).  



At first I started painting the boxes brown, but I wasn't happy with the coverage.  It did kind of have an interesting effect on it.  Like painting on aluminum foil. I had intended to spray paint the tops in brushed nickel, but I did on of the tops and didn't care for it either.    

I pulled out my trusty Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint that makes everything look better and gave them a couple of good coats of paint.  Yes....I did get more paint on me than on the boxes :).   



I then experimented with different burlap and lace combinations and ended up with this...



I like the way that they turned out, but they don't make the cut for my new bathroom.  I want less fussy in the bathroom, so I think they will probably end up somewhere in my bedroom.   

Have you ever taken something from the Dollar Store and made something cool out of it?   Share your ideas with me!   

No comments:

Post a Comment