Saturday, February 15, 2014

In Search of "My" Style: A Few Of My Favorite Things

My sister and I were talking last night about all of my new redecorating projects.  I've been obsessing.   The thing is that I feel so indecisive. We spent some time talking about what style I was going for, and the fact that I have so many different styles in my house at the moment.    She suggested that I step back from it and find an "inspiration" room and get a big picture of what I am going for.  

I don't like to stop something once I get started, so it is difficult for me to "step away" from anything.   But I hear the wisdom in what she is suggesting.   Earlier this week I had made my living room neutral, because as I was looking around Pinterest and other redecorating sights, I see how that is popular.  I have felt dissatisfied with the "neutralness" of it all. :).   I need to figure out what my style is, but I'm so confused!  I guess that is part of what this blog is all about....figuring out what I like, and discovering new interest now that my children are all grown.   There is nothing that I have found that exactly matches "me" when I look at all of the decorating galleries on line.

I felt that to figure out what my style is, I need to see what things I gravitate toward, and things that I have that I absolutely love.   Here are a few of the things I came up with in no particular order....

Quilts!
Round Pedestal Table that my Mother gave me,
 Blue and White Dishes,
Pitchers w/flowers
I am not in love with the chairs because they aren't very comfortable.
I would like to get some upholstered ones that invite you to stay
at the table.  

Regulator Clocks: School Time! :)  

I've always loved this pitcher that Mama gave me.
I also love to make little vignettes.  

I love baskets.  I also love wood floors.

Piano/Music = Love
Love old mason jars! 

I opened up my chest, and these were on top.  I love everything
that is in there :).  

This chest was given to my Dad when he was 13 years old.
He was working for an antique dealer who said it was 150 years
old.  He gave it to Daddy who restored it.  Daddy is almost 84 years old,
which makes this chest about 230 years old if the antique dealer can be believed.
Regardless, I love it.  I love the wood and the fact that it is an heirloom.

I love the glass container for my detergent.
 I love the red and white checks on the wall,
the red and white checked cook book,
the geraniums in the bowl and pitcher,
the little crystal decanter,
the little laundry board, ,
the rooster,and the flag picture frame.
 I especially love the three in the picture :).   
I love stained glass, mostly of birds.  I have
three panels...so far. 

I've always loved matelasse fabric.  I also love the
texture of burlap.   I like the contrast of fancy material and
plain, functional material.  I love it when beauty and function
"work" together.  
I love to see scripture in art.  I love signs.  Mike made this one.

One day, I want to own a pie safe.  For now, I have this little
one that I love. 
I like certain cut glass things.  These were my Grandmothers.
I don't use them very much, but I do find them beautiful
and would never get rid of them. I also like glass cake plates.  
I bought this in Germany and I love the old looking wood
and the iron scrolling.  

I love braided rugs.   This one is an old throw rug that
has been around the world with me.   It is now relegated
to the garage.  I wish I had a big one on my living room floor.

Again, vignettes, birds, scripture in art.
I love the trees, the scripture, the frame.  This is probably my
favorite picture in the house right now. 

Willow Tree....at least the ones that "speak" to me.  Here are my two
latest.  The one where she is holding the little bird in her hands is called "Soar".
It represents all of the feelings that I have over the kids leaving my nest.  The
other one is called "Happiness" which represents what I feel about this stage of my life. 
Old photographs...Also love the frame.

Denim and Pearls:  Comfort and Class:  Form and Function
Love these things together. 
I think this exercise has worked.   My style is definitely country...but not cluttered. I also have strong feelings about "old" things and want things to be beautiful and practical at the same time. I also love new things that make our lives easier...like computers, appliances, television and the like...so it needs to be incorporated.    I need to stick with the colors red, white, blue, and green....because anything else will probably not stand the test of time for me.  I have a lot of things that I am holding on to just because it "worked" for me in another place/time and I hold onto it because it cost good money...but I no longer "love" it.   

What does this mean for how I will decorate my house?  It has clarified my "vision" somewhat, but that is another blog. You will have to come back and see how it works out :).   Based on what you've read, I would love to hear any suggestions as to what I might like/do in the house.  

No comments:

Post a Comment