Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Master Bedroom Renovation? Help!

I have started a new project, and based on how it goes, I might try to repaint all of my bedroom furniture. Mike and I bought it when we got out of college....so it is classic 80's furniture.  Upstairs in one of the guest rooms is the original cannonball bed.   Last year Mike and I graduated from the Queen sized bed to a King, and Mike made an upholstered headboard.   The rest of the room is pretty mismatched.  Add to that it has been through 20 Army moves and it is all in pretty bad shape.   The chest at the bottom of the bed is an heirloom from my Dad's family, and I won't be doing anything to that. It stays like it is.  Everything else is fair game.







The dresser, the chest of drawers, and one night stand is real wood.  It matches the bed up in the guest room.  The whole project is going to hinge on how this first piece, a laminate night stand handed down from my sister, turns out.   Here it is in all of it's 80's glory.   



The top is pretty damaged. 

When I pulled the drawers out to clean it up, I found some Valentines that my girls had made me when they were very 3 and 8 years old. They are now 18 and 23.  I am not sure how they stayed in there through so many moves :).  

Here is my inspiration piece.   


I went to Walmart and chose a color from Glidden called Starboard Blue which is a deep greyish blue. I am mixing some chalk paint in a brown to try to get the color of the top, since the nightstand has veneer that is damaged. 

Some questions that I could use some advice on... Should I match all of the pieces of furniture to one paint color....or is that out?   If I were to pick another color for say the dresser....what would it be.   Keep in mind that this is the master bedroom, so I don't want it to be too girly or kiddish.   What do you think?  

5 comments:

  1. I would go with one other color, maybe something that's in your comforter so it ties everything together. Or maybe a "shabby white" to go with that bluish gray (very pretty, by the way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this from someone else's SparkBlog and I thought maybe it would interest you, if for the colors if nothing else: http://cececaldwells.com/color-chart/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a very hip designer, so I'll abstain from advice! All I want to add is that I can't wait to see what you do with it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete