Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My Super Easy $5 Window Treatment

I wanted something simple and cheap for my bathroom window, but I didn't want to break the bank.    I have been playing around with burlap and getting ideas from Pinterest.   There were many people who made their own new sew curtains or valances.   This is my take on that idea.



I had a couple of yards of burlap.  All I did was measure my window's height and width.   I added about 6 inches to those measurements and cut my burlap. Many of the Pinterest people had either left their edges unfinished, or some of them used hot glue.   I don't like things to unravel very much, so I just took a needle and thread and very quickly did a simple stitch around the edges.  (I don't sew, so it wasn't a very straight stitch.) I folded one end of the burlap over that was enough to put my curtain rod through,  and I ran a quick, messy stitch across the width of the fabric.  I then hung the curtain up on the window.  

I took some wide burlap ribbon and threw them over the curtain rod and let it hang the length of the window. I wanted a splash of white to tie it in with my shower curtain, so I took some lace ribbon and hung it down the middle of the burlap ribbon.  


Then all I did was take a safety pin and attached the two ends of the ribbon and attached them at about the length that I wanted the curtain to hang.   I attached them behind the curtain so that it wasn't visible.   I then adjusted the folds at the bottom of the "shade" until I was happy with it.   This project took a little less than a yard of burlap $3.99 at Joanne's Fabric, lace ribbon that I had bought for $1 at Walmart, and some burlap ribbon that I had bought at Walmart for about $5.00.   There is still lots of burlap ribbon left for other projects, so I estimate that the entire window treatment cost me about $5 to make.  

I wanted to coordinate it with my new matelasse shower curtain, so I tied my shower curtain back with the burlap ribbon.  

Have you ever used ideas you found on Pinterest to create your own take on it?  I would love to hear your ideas!   

1 comment: