Friday, January 10, 2014

My Great Grandmother Shares Her Life

I am going to be posting a series of blogs that contain stories that my Great Grandmother, Annie B. Adcock wrote to her daughter my Great Aunt Clara.  My cousin, John R. Coles compiled them together and has graciously consented to share them with me in hopes that more of the Grandchildren can know this fascinating woman.

Grandmother (Mammy to most of her Grandchildren) was born on March 9, 1892.  She had eleven children of which my Grandmother, Myrtle Harris, was the oldest.   She died February 7, 1978 at the age of 85 and is buried at Forest Grove Cemetery.   


Unfortunately, I don't have very many memories of Grandmother.   I do remember going up to her house up in Joelton,TN with my mother when I was about 5 or 6 years old.   I remember that there were lots of people, and lots of food and the floor of their house kind of sloped.   I sat at the kitchen table, and there were huge biscuits offered to me.   Another memory is when Aunt Ruby brought Grandmother up to our house in Clarksville to give my sister Mary Tom, a white bible engraved with her name on it, for her graduation from high school.   I was so jealous of that beautiful bible.  

"Annie Biggs Adcock wrote a series of letters to her daughter, Clara Adcock Coles, telling her of her life.   She begins about 1901, when she moved to the land around Sycamore Creek in middle Tennessee.   I have included these letters just as she wrote them.   I knew my grandmother well and heard her tell most of these stories when I spent my childhood summers at her farm."  - John R. Coles  No More The Wild Country

Stay tuned for the actual letters....




No comments:

Post a Comment