Friday, February 7, 2014

Mid-1980's Nightstand Makeover


As I wrote in an earlier blog, my master bedroom is hurting!  You can read about that here.  It is much more obvious to me after the bathroom redo.  You can see the before and after pictures here.  I decided to start with this sad little mid-1980's wood laminate nightstand.   It's so 80's that it reminds me of how we talked back then.....

Grody to the max!  

Like, gag me with a spoon!  It's like, totally damaged!
:
Totally gnarly, right?  
"It's like I'm bad, I'm bad, you know it.." (singing with my best Michael Jackson voice.) Time to update this monstrosity.

I cleaned it up and gave it a little sand with some 100 grit sandpaper and a palm sander.  I wiped all of the dust off it and then added a few coats of starboard blue by Glidden.   For the top, I had to sand all of the laminate off of the top which left me with just particle board.   I mixed up some DIY chalk paint with some of my craft paint from Walmart (coffee bean and burnt umber) and some plaster of Paris mixed with water.  I rolled on a few coats.  I sanded lightly to distress it, and then added a decorative glaze stain.   When that was all dry I waxed it with Johnson's Paste Wax to protect it.   I was going to change the drawer handles, but they are an odd size, so I just spray painted them with brushed nickel spray paint.  

Let's see if we can bring this bad boy "Back to the Future."   Let me see if I can get the new slang right....
"I've got the moo--ooo--ooo--oohvs like Jagger!" (sung in best Adam Levine style.)   


Check out that Swag! 


Stylin!


It's cra-cray how we distress things that were old to
start with!  


Vintage!  


Here is some proof that YOLO doesn't apply to furniture....

Before

After
What do you think?  Should I keep going on the bedroom renovation?   

5 comments: