Saturday, August 16, 2014

Grandmama Is Nesting

My youngest is expecting a baby boy on October 1st.   This will be my first grandchild, and I decided that I would create a nursery here at our house for when he comes to visit. I am also developing this philosophy that things at Grandmama's are home made.  I thought I should redo a used crib.      So, I started scouring bookoo, and found a crib and changing table for $50.


I didn't know it at the time, but once I got it home and started working on it, I realized that it didn't have most of the hardware, and parts of it were broken.  I filled some holes, did some sanding and looked up the current safety specs for cribs so that I could make sure that the little guy would be safe. I at first attempted to stain it....but that turned out to be a total fail, and so I painted it....you guessed it navy blue! Being a safety conscious Grandmama, I made sure to buy the no VOC kind at about $45/can.   Woo...this cheap crib is getting expensive!    Mike found hardware for it and tightened it up.   I had to buy a firm mattress according to the current recommendations for newborns....and so I went to Walmart and squished the mattresses until I found one that I thought was firm enough.  Of course that wasn't the cheap one... And, I needed to get a changing pad for the changing table, and a matress cover, and sheets.  This home made crib is getting more expensive by the minute!

Of course a crib needs a quilt, and so I set out to crochet a baby blanket.   After three skeins of yarn, I realized that it was kind of deformed looking and so I pulled it all out and tried again, and again, and again.   Mike couldn't believe that I kept pulling out all of that work.   Finally, I was satisfied with a pretty straight blanket.  When I showed Mike the finished product, he said "How did you finally accomplish it?"  I said "Perseverance!"



I was on a roll, so I decided to make my daughter a quilt.  She has always loved cows and was doing her nursery in brown and red.   So I went online looking for cow material.   It is very hard to come by cow stuff at this time...but after a bidding war with someone, I managed to come up with some cow material.


Notice how there is no brown in those materials?   I didn't.   I cut out all of my squares and went online and found a picture of a cow to create out of fabric and pinned it all together.   It only took me a couple of seconds to write that....but it took about 3 full days (well 2 of them were all nighters) to get it all cut and pinned together.   Since my sewing machine was getting fixed by a lady at church, I asked my sister to help (read do while I sit looking at her) sew it together.   That took another three days...and a steep learning curve.   When it was coming together I started to like it, and then to love it....and that was when I realized that no, it was not brown and red....it was red, white and blue....just like my house!   I decided the quilt needed to stay with me, and we would make Christy another quilt.  I also think it is quite funny that my creativity outshines my actual skill...and I need others to bail me out quite frequently.  




Stay tuned for more Grandmama craftiness :).    

2 comments:

  1. Okay, "bidding war" and you keeping the quilt --I literally LOL'd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! You are going to be the best Grandma ever! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete