Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Day I Became A Grandmama

On September 26th, Christy was scheduled for an elective induction at 39 weeks pregnant.   She went in super early in the morning and they started giving her the medicine to help her get started on her labor.   I came to the hospital about 9:00 and she wasn't really feeling any pains yet.    At this point she was still able to be goofy :).   



I thought that it was just going to be Christy and Michael and Michael's mama there, but Michael had lots of friends and family who gathered at the hospital.   All of the company seemed to comfort and distract Christy from her contractions.   

As the day went on, she wasn't really progressing very much in spite of pretty consistent contractions. Although the nurses were really great, we really didn't like Christy's doctor who seemed kind of rough.  At one point when she was checking Christy, Christy was in so much pain she was begging her to stop, and I jumped up and was at the bed looking at the Doctor like I was going to punch her.   When I jumped up it scared Michael and so he jumped up too. :).   It is hard to watch your baby in pain even though you know it has to happen to bring a child into the world.   After that exam, I asked if they could give Christy some meds that wouldn't affect her epidural later, and they gave her some meds that helped her to rest even when they were pretty strong and close together.  I was hearing the same things that I heard during my labors...not dialating, baby is still very high up.  I started to think that it might end in a c-section. 

Early Contractions
Resting up for the hard work ahead.

Later Contractions:

All day long she labored, and there really wasn't any progression to speak of.   Finally they made the call to take her in for a c-section.   It is weird how I felt. Because of having had 3 c-sections, this was kind of the more "normal" thing for me. I briefly worried about what if something goes wrong...but mostly it was excitement that we were going to see the baby soon!   Michael, the dad was a wreck though.   I was seriously worried about him not being able to handle it...at one point before they went back Michael went outside to "throw up."   Christy seemed very calm though.   Later on she told me that she kind of expected she would have to have one because I had three.  

Christy ready for c-section...Michael stressing in the background.

Getting ready to have that baby! 

Before Christy went for surgery, she wanted to pray.   Michael's parents, Christy, Michael and I bowed our heads, and Christy asked me to pray for him.   I have been praying for him ever since Christy had told me she was pregnant.   That night I just continued my prayers....

"Lord, please bless this child.  I pray that you would give him a heart to know and love you...that he would receive you into his heart early and then follow hard after you his whole life.  I pray that you would be with Michael and Christy as they parent him.     I pray that Christy and Michael would also desire to love and follow you wholeheartedly and they would seek Your face and guidance and model a godly life as an example before him.  I pray for your protection over this little life Lord... and health for his Mama as she goes into surgery....courage for his Dad who is getting his first taste of being a Dad in spite of his fears, skill for the Doctor who is delivering....and Lord...we are so thankful for this little life. I pray that we will all be able to show him a legacy of faithfulness to You. To You be all glory, honor, and praise! Amen! "

They came in and got Christy and Michael, and we went to the waiting room to anxiously await the first sight of the little guy.   


Grandmother's waiting first sight of Grandbaby

There were still a lot of Michael's friends and family there....but they were pretty good about making sure that the Grandmama's got the first look through the nursery windows.   


Introducing Michael Braden Dean
Born September 26, 2014 at
7:50 pm.   He was 20.5 inches long, 8.48 lbs
and looks so much like his Mama. 

We had to wait a little while since Christy was in recovery, but pretty soon we went back to the room and were getting Christy settled.   They wheeled baby Michael in, in his bassinet.   I of course had my camera at the ready :).    




Since no one was telling me no...I picked him up!   I believe I was the first one in the family to hold this precious little bundle from God...even before his Mama and Daddy got to hold him.  He already had my heart....but at that moment, I was a goner....totally CRAZY about this child!  


Then I had to check on my baby, Christy..and had the privilege of handing her son to her.  It was an emotional moment.   She was also overwhelmed with love.  

I love them both so much.   


The proud Daddy handed out candy cigars.   


I took the baby back from Christy when the nurses came in to check on her....and realized that Michael was standing there looking kind of lost.   I asked him if he had held the baby yet, and he said no.  I told him to sit down in the chair and handed the very nervous daddy his son.   He said "I don't know if I'm doing this right."   But he was doing just fine.   It was a sweet moment.

It wasn't until later than I realized that I had got to hand the baby to both of his parents :).   I might have been hogging the baby just a bit...but at some point, I did share him with the other grandmother...


He has her under his spell too :).   

I stayed until they got ready to move Christy up to another room and visiting hours were over.   Michael's friends and family had gone home...and I was just taking it all in.   My baby girl now has a baby of her own.   I am a Grandmama!  


1 comment:

  1. Oh congratulations to you and your family!!! That is such a sweet birth story and I'm just thrilled for you all! They truly are such a blessing and you're going to love every moment!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete