Tuesday, May 12, 2015

"I'm Seein' My Father In Me"


Colin Raye sings a song that talks about how as time marches on, we become more and more like our Dads.   The chorus goes:

I'm seein' my father in me,
I guess that's how its meant to be,
and I find I'm more and more like him each day.
I notice I walk the way he walks,
I notice I talk the way he talks.
I'm startin' to see, my father in me.


Mike and I often joke about how we notice our parent's characteristics coming out it us as we age. We also talk about how God has revealed Himself to us the most through the raising of our children.   We get to know how He feels about us, by how we feel about our children.  We take joy in their learning each new thing.   We long to shower on them every good thing and gather them in our arms and share a closeness with them.   We delight when they do good, and we mourn when they don't.   We plead with them to walk on the right path.  We discipline them when they don't.    We watch them with broken hearts and anger as they walk their own way, and stand waiting with arms open when they come back home.  We forgive them.   We sacrifice for them. We provide a way for them.   We believe in them.  We hope for them. We love them.



I looked at my husband today and saw a man who looked very much like his Father in Heaven.   He loves sacrificially.  He is consistent.  He is constant.  He is faithful.   He longs for his children to follow his example of walking with Jesus.  He provides blessings for his children, even at great expense to himself.   He keeps his promises.  He loves them always....sometimes even in spite of themselves.

Yes...I notice he walks the way He walks...and talks the way He talks.  I'm startin' to see his Father in him.


 ...and I love you more every day.   You are truly "The Gift" of God to me :).


1 comment: