Saturday, September 6, 2014

Here I Raise My Ebenezer (And I Don't Mean Scrooge)


In the Old Testament in the Bible, people would set up stones to remember the great things that God had done in their lives.   Samuel named the stone Ebenezer (1 Samuel 7:12).  I can remember kind of laughing with some of my friends when we used to sing a verse in an old hymn "Here I raise my Ebenezer, hither by Thy help I come."   I had no idea what it meant....just knew that it reminded me of old Ebenezer Scrooge. But somewhere along the line, the word got explained to me, and I've never forgotten it.   

The other day I found an old childhood scrapbook....and it serves as a reminder of how God has poured His grace out on me my whole life.  I had a wonderful family who made sure that I got to church and sacrificially gave money for activities that I wanted to be a part of.  Mama must have worn the road out getting me to church activities.  

I remember when I was four years old at Park Lane Church of the Nazarene singing "Deep and Wide" and learning the story of Abraham's test of faith and realizing that God is not a tame God.   He requires our obedience....even when we don't understand.   He is Deep and He is Wide...but so is His loving kindness and faithfulness.   I went to that church from pre-k until third grade.   I was encouraged to attend, bring a bible, bring a friend, and memorize bible verses....and I did.   I still sometimes know which ones I learned there because I have it memorized in the King James Version. My Sunday School Teachers at Park Lane were Mrs. Riggins, and Mrs. Rosa.  
Certificates of Promotion Pre-K, Primary and Junior Depts and
VBS Certificate from Park Lane Church of the Nazarene
 
In fourth grade the buses from First Baptist Church started coming across town to pick us up and bring us to Church.   Artie Rivers and Vivian Smith were the "bus captains," young people in our church,  who would come out and visit us, get to know our families, and encourage us to keep coming.   There were always fun contest...and even prizes as incentives to come, bring your bible, bring a friend, and memorize scripture.   I went to Sunday School and Junior Church where we again were encouraged to come, bring a bible, bring a friend, and memorize scripture!  I can remember getting my first modern bible in Junior Church.  It was a paraphrase called The Way...The Living Bible.   It looked groovy! :).   They were laying a foundation in my life teaching me faithfulness, sharing my faith, a love for the Word, and motivating me to hide the Word in my heart.   
Tlb: The Way - HC
Groovy Bible I won for
memorizing Scripture.  
Mrs. Dixon, my 6th grade Sunday School Teacher
Artie Rivers Bus Captain...and giver of obnoxious
toys to annoy mothers :).   
Mrs Carter, my Sunday School Teacher in 4th -5th grade 

Bus Ministry FBC Clarksville 
In the sixth grade, I went to Junior Camp where I was once again presented with the gospel.   My counselor did a devotional that explained that everyone had sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, but that because of that sin, I deserved death...eternal separation from God.  But God loved me so much that He paid the price for my sin on the cross.   Because he had no sin of his own, he was able to conquer death and sin, and raised from the grave!    All I had to do was accept the gift of eternal life that that He wanted to give me..and I too would live in heaven with him one day.     Now....I don't remember a time when I didn't already know that...but to "make sure" I prayed and asked Jesus to save me.  Brother Laida was going to baptize me in the lake at the camp, but my mother had made me promise not to get in the lake if she allowed me to go camp. I could not swim.  I think she would have understood....but I was a letter of the law kind of a girl, and just knew I would get in trouble if I got in that lake!   When I got back home, I went through a new membership class where I was taught what it meant to be a Christian, and what Baptist's believe.   I loved the man who taught it, so I stayed in that class way longer than the month that I was supposed to!  


My Profession of Faith 
Sam Lollar taught the membership class at FBC for
many years.   
Here is my Certificate of Baptism, and my letter inviting me to
take the Lord's Supper for the first time.  When I was baptized, I fell
into the Baptistry on the way down the steps.  The curtains were closed, but
everyone heard a big splash.  Brother Laida calmed me down, but
when they opened the curtains, my hair was already wet :).   


In Junior High School, I was tempted to get a little bit wild   I went to the Junior High School across town from my church at New Providence Junior High School.  I felt pretty isolated from my christian friends who all went to the rival school.. (those dastardly Greenwood Bears)   Every Wednesday, First Baptist would have a van waiting at the school for those of us who wanted to go participate in Wednesday night activities at church.   We would hang out in the activities building playing games, eat supper, and then go to choir practice and a mission club called Acteens. We would sing songs about Jesus, and study about people sharing the gospel and what a huge difference it made in lives.   On Saturdays I was almost always back at the Activities Building participating in something....ceramics, bowling league, or cheer leading.   It was a fun and safe place that would remind me of who I belonged to.   
I still remember this missionary family who served
in Tanzania, Africa inspiring us with stories of
how God was working in their ministry.   They inspired
me to care about missions.   
Mrs. Dortch was my Sunday School teacher in
7th-9th Grade
I'm the one in the "gold" skirt.   Since I lived on the other side
of town, I didn't go with them to pick out fabric.  I was told to pick out gold
corduroy....which I did.   They bought orange...and we were too poor to
have another skirt made.   I was embarrassed but I really wanted
to participate, so I built some character :). 
I was so thrilled to go to high school and get to be a part of The Majority, the youth group at FBC.   The name "The Majority" came from a saying back in the day that "God + 1= a majority."    All year long we learned some great music...both secular and christian and then in the Summer we would go on a mission trip to support a church and to learn to share our faith.   We trained to do Back Yard Bible Clubs, nursing home visits and then we would set up in parking lots and Malls and sing secular music....usually ending that set with Rocky Top where we would alternate going up and down really playing up the "southern" angle which attracted quite a crowd.   Then we would switch to Christian music.  Those people who still hung around got to hear "The Four Spiritual Laws" from a sincere and nervous Majority member who was trying to learn to be bold and spread the gospel.  There were decisions for Christ made on those trips.   I was better at sharing with the children in Back Yard Bible Club, but I did faithfully try to go and talk with someone after each set and stumble through :).   Our leaders were Bill Morris, the Pastor of Music, and Eddie Benton, the Youth Pastor.   They were instrumental in my discipleship.   Mr. Morris was kind of a Dad figure.   I had been with him in choir since 6th grade.   We knew he loved us....even though he was a great disciplinarian.  When we would act up, he would set a very chalky eraser on the piano and you knew if you didn't straighten up, that eraser was coming your way missile style!   He was careful to lay out his expectations of rules.   We knew if we didn't obey them "we would get sent home C.O.D." to our parents.    I don't think he ever had to send anyone home.  He was vigilant about making sure that we were safe though....and he loved us and would talk us through anything.   He wrote in my annual one year Proverbs 3:5-6.   I was so taken with those verses that I claimed them as my life verses.    

Eddie Benton made it cool to be a Christian.   He was young, athletic, rode a motor cycle....and loved the Lord and had a passion for training youth to love Him too.   He taught us how to do Bible Study.   He selected some of us to train in leadership...and I was one of the ones that he took through an in depth discipleship program that taught me all about how to live the Christian life.   He trained us to work with people younger than me as a Camp Counselor.   I was very aware that if my life didn't live up to what I was teaching, it might cause one of the kids I was working with too stumble, and I didn't want that.    On a retreat with Eddie and a friend of his named P.D., I re-dedicated my life deciding to follow him with more understanding of what that actually meant.   Most of the nights of the week I was over at First Baptist either doing Bible Study, The Majority, working with kids...or something fun.    

The Majority, Bill Morris and Eddie Benton
Dr. and Mrs Hampton, My Sunday School Teachers
in 10-12th grade...also chaperoned the Majority
Trips and Doctored us if we needed it.   

Mr and Mrs. Billy Graham invested their
time every Summer to chaperone the Majority
trips and had us many times in their home.  We knew
that they loved us.  

Mr. and Mrs Jones also chaperoned the Majority trips and had
us to their house.   They loved youth and invested their
time and resources for the Lord.   

What the Majority Trip Is...and Is Not....
Mr. Morris Laying down the Law
So much of my life in high school is represented in these
scraps....all activities of FBC.  I went on
3 mission trips: Pittsburg, PA,  Russelville, AR, and
The Appalachian Mts of KY.  
I was a camp counselor at Hillmont Camp for 4 years.  I'm not sure
what happened to the fourth book. I think the yummy dinner
rolls from there are still sitting on my hips. :).   

Our Pastor, John David Laida was wonderful.  Even though our church was pretty big, I always felt included, cared about, and invested.    Every year he would send me a note on my birthday with gum or quarters in it.   I'm not sure if he personally did it or not....but when I won a competition with a Speech I gave, he also sent me a personal note with the article in it.    I have a Bible that is marked up with his sermons.   If he ever taught the same thing twice, I would know it because I had it marked in my Bible.  I greatly respected him then.  You would have thought that I personally gave him and his wife the trip to China on their 20th Anniversary with the Church, because I followed it so closely.   I think I was looking at the leadership and "following them as they followed Christ."   I still am in admiration of Brother Laida who continues to preach the word every single Sunday since he retired and he is in his mid-nineties!   He is an amazing teacher, and such a great example of faithfulness.   
A couple of the personal notes he sent me over the
years.  

Some of the articles about "my" Pastor   

"I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the increase." 1 Corinthians 3:7

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds and let us not give up meeting together as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another!  And all the more as we see the day approaching! "  Hebrews 10: 24-26.   

I am so grateful for my spiritual roots.    So many people were faithful to exercise their gifts....someone planted a seed, someone nurtured and protected the little seedling from the harsh conditions, someone gave it a little food.  Someone staked it when it needed a little support. Someone pruned it when it needed something cut away...and so many people were faithful to water it.   My life in Christ is a living stone of the Church functioning as it is supposed to....and God caused the growth. Thank you so much for your faithfulness!  

Today, I serve with my husband in full time ministry.  I don't know if the people who had such a profound influence on me really know what an impact that they made in my life.   My sincere wish is that Mike and I will be found faithful by those who come behind us....and that God is causing increase to people in whom we have invested our lives over the years.    

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing!









No comments:

Post a Comment