Friday, August 12, 2016

Master Bedroom Renovation


A couple of years ago while we were doing our master bath reno, I blogged about remodeling my bedroom here.  I was overwhelmed with how/where to start and so...I just didn't.  It wasn't long before we moved on to the kitchen renovation...and the bedroom has stayed roughly the same with all of its mismatched wood/faux wood.  I did redo a night stand...but it proved to be too small for my room, and so it was taken to Good Will somewhere along the line.  

I did end up buying this coverlet at Kohls which I totally love.  Finally last week I bit the bullet and committed to chalk painting my furniture and getting on with this renovation.

Before  
1st Coat of Valspar Chalky Finish Paint in the color Kid Gloves

2nd Coat of Chalky Finish Paint

Distressing with sandpaper

More distressing.  I was going for that old world look.

After waxing with clear Valspar Sealing Wax

I sprayed my old brass hardware with Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze
and reattached them; however, I thought the effect was too stark.

I decided to try to lighten them, so I just painted over them with
the chalky paint, and then rubbed it off.  

I used the same process with the chest of drawers and the mismatched night stand and the white really brightened up my room.  
Mike had some old weathered wood downstairs and we decided
to make a new piece of art for over the bed.  

I ordered these curtains because I thought they would match my bedspread and still give off that vintage look that I love so much.   Mike had another old weathered board downstairs in his scraps that I thought would make a great shelf for above my dresser.  

I still have a few things to do, but I love how it is coming together.   Here is the result.   
new curtains and chest of drawers redo

shot of the bed, new sign, nightstand redo, curtains and chest of
drawers. 

Dresser now functions as a television stand...and my new shelf.
The pictures are collages of Mike and me and our families
growing up.  I may add some other things to the shelf. 

This side of the room.  I still need some art work for over the
chest of drawers and over my desk, and I am going to replace
the ceiling fan.   That will come later.   Ignore those wires
behind my chair, I'm going to police those up very soon. :). 



No comments:

Post a Comment